California  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/16/13, 12:38 pm

I own a four unit building with three other family members as joint tenants for the past 12 years. I was the only one on the loan initially and after a year one member was added to the loan.Each of us renovated and occupied our own unit. After a year one family member stopped paying her share of the taxes and insurance and about four years ago she stopped paying her share of the mortgage. I have been trying to keep it together but I am now unable to continue paying. I have maintained excellent credit over the years and I am afraid that my credit will be ruined and the property will go into foreclosure. What can I do? Can I file a partition action so that the property may be sold and we all go our separate ways? At the moment I cannotafford to hire an attorney.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search