Legal Question in Social Security Law in California

My husband who is incarcerated, won a settlement from a court case. He couldn't cash the check because of his incarceration so he chose to have the lawyers re-issue it in my name...We have now come to the end of our marriage and he wants "his" cash back I don't have a prblem doing this but before I do I just want to know from a 'legal' standpoint possession is nine tenths of the law right? I should also add that I am in fear of him when I return the money because I have used some of it for myslf (and for all of his needs too) does he have a legal right to come after me? How could I put that money away for a while and let it gain the most interest?

Asked on 5/23/10, 8:30 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Actually it depends on what the settlement was for. In California, personal injury settlements and recoveries for injuries that occur during marriage are community property.

Read more
Answered on 5/29/10, 9:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now