Legal Question in Social Security Law in California

I am a mother of a daughter who is a recipient of social security disability benefit (SSDB). My husband died some years ago. I like to give her a considerable sum (say, $200,000) as a gift for her to live on after my death. Does that disqualify her from SSDB? How about giving annuity to her?

Asked on 9/15/13, 5:25 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Armen Tashjian Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I suggest you setup a special needs trust for her so her benefits are not negatively effected.

Read more
Answered on 9/15/13, 6:08 am
Phillip D. Wheeler, Esq. Phillip D. Wheeler, Attorney At Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Greetings. Like Armen said, start a "special needs trust".

Read more
Answered on 9/15/13, 3:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Craig EpifanioCraig Epifanio, P.A.St Petersburg, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now