Legal Question in Telecomm Law in California

is having a dashboard camera in my car legal ? I want to use it for insurance purposes. It will be used in a public venue (roads and freeways) the response I got was

Why not? You could do a remake of "Weird TV" (which featured a camera mounted in the passenger seat aimed at the show's emcee, Chuck Cirino, who drove and simultaneously narrated the "Comfort Zone" segments). Or you could point it forward or backward. Or you could mount little tiny cameras at all angles and Drive While Black and maybe document some racial profiling or other police misconduct. Go crazy. The only thing you can't do is have a monitor visible to the driver while the vehicle is in motion.

Michael Stone, Attorney at Law

WHAT DO THEY MEAN MONITOR VISIBLE TO THE DRIVER ? IS THERE SOME EAVESDROPPING IMPLICATIONS ? I DONT WANNA BREAK ANY LAWS. THANKS JUST LOOKING FOR CLARIFICATION.

Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE

Take off your tinfoil hat. You can't have a TV visible to the driver, because it might distract you and make you crash your car. Any more questions for me, please feel free to email me directly as opposed to posting to LawGuru.

More Telecommunications Law questions and answers in California