California  |  Traffic Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/24/13, 5:12 pm

I let a 19-year old borrow my manual 5-speed car. Yes, the car was used, but he returned it to me (half an hour later) clutch no longer working. I had to repair the clutch which cost me $700 for a new one. After the car was returned (broken) his friend said, "I do not think he knew how to properly drive a 5-speed." (Hmm, ya think?) He told me that his father taught him how to drive a 5-speed, I was in the passenger seat when he was driving it - It was a little jerky, but I figured that was him getting him used to it.

Yes, it was a used car, but I think had been "messing around" with my vehicle. (although I was not in the vehicle when it broke)

I asked him for payment (partial) but I got a vague response.

Can I sue him for partial the amount (like $200) in small claims court. I think he should be help somewhat to responsible.

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.

For more information visit us at

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search