California  |  Traffic Law

California Littering Section 23111 - Cigarette thrown from motor vehicle

My wife received a ticket today for throwing a lit cigarette from her car. While ignorance is not a legitimate excuse, we moved to CA 2 years ago and honestly were not even aware of this law, especially given how many people we see tossing cigarettes from their cars on a daily basis. Trying to find documentation on the penalties associated with 23111, it appears a fine of $100 to $1000 applies for first time offenders. It appears that 8 hrs of litter removal is also a possibility, but the language is vague on whether or not the community service is mandatory or up to the discretion of the judge. Will we simply receive a fine, or should my wife expect litter removal community service in her near future?

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.