California  |  Wills and Trusts

The administers of my Fathers estate, PNC Bank, have really screwed up and several people were hurt beacuse of it. Can I file suit againt PNC Bank in California, my legal residence or do I have to file in the State were my fathers estate resides? Would filing in Small Claims make any difference?

Answered on: 6/20/13, 5:55 pm by Victor Waid

Obtain yourself probte litigation counsel to examine what your potential options for recovery againsty PNC Bank. As to the jurisdiction for suit, your legal counsel can advise you; generally where the deceased died is the proper county for administration of the trust, but not always; this is the reason to seek legal advice, and by the way, filing in small claims court does not sound as an appropriate option for recovery, as the dollar limitation on judgment amounts is very limited.

Law Office of Victor Waid 777 Campus Commons Rd., Suite 200 Sacramento, CA 95825

Answered on: 6/21/13, 1:27 am by Charles Perry

A thorough review of the facts is needed before anyone can advise you as to where you can or should sue. A California court, however, does not have jurisdiction over the case simply because the plaintiff lives in California. The governing law for deciding what (if anything) that PNC Bank did wrong will be the law of the other state.

I suggest you speak to a lawyer who handles trusts and probate litigation for advice. A lawyer in California could at least advise you as to where you can file suit.

Law Offices of Charles R. Perry 1500 Bayberry Street Hollister, 95023