Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My boyfriend is in the middle of a civil case against the trustee of his grandmothers trust. I personally did not sign any paperwork with the attorney. However, the trustee is aware that I have a potential case against her and now is trying to tie my hands and holding up the trust settlement unless I agree to not sue her. Is this legal?

Asked on 8/19/12, 1:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Victor Waid Law Office of Victor Waid
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Don't do it. Obtain competent litigation probate counsel NOW to advise you of the pros and cons of settling a possible civil action against the trustee; the trustee is trying to protect himself from a liability action you may have against him. The trustee cannot hold up a settlement of your grandmothers trust, and subjects himself to further litigation costs by his action. WARNING: Don't sign anything the trustee proposes, as his motives are suspect. Probate litigation counsel may want to sue on your behalf.

Read more
Answered on 11/09/12, 4:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88403 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Charles AspinwallCharles S. Aspinwall, J.D., LLCLos Lunas, NM
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now