Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

Before his death in 2003, my father set up a living trust with my 2 brothers and I as the beneficiaries. The family home is the only remaining asset. According to the terms of the trust I was entitled to live in the house for a period of 5 years, provided I pay the mortgage, insurance and property taxes on it, which I have. We are in the process of selling the house now. Am I entitled to my moving expenses being paid by the trust before it is dissolved?

Asked on 7/10/13, 11:05 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Victor Waid Law Office of Victor Waid
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The provisions of the trust will determine if you are entitled to moving expenses; but look at the problem another way. You are getting debt relief by not having to pay the mortgage, maintenance, insurance and taxes for the next five years. So you may want to tread lightly on this issue with your brothers.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/13, 11:18 pm
Michele Cusack Pollak & Cusack
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Probably not- only if so provided in the document.

Read more
Answered on 7/11/13, 7:37 am
William Christian Rodi Pollock
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Not unless the trust specifically so states. That is your own personal expense.

Read more
Answered on 7/11/13, 4:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now