Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

I e-mailed questions I had to an estate attorney I had used previously for my paren'ts estate and asked for an estimate of the attorney fees. An employee of the attorney's office called me and told me the attorney said the fee would be $350. Nothing was said before, during, or after the consultation about an increase in fees. I received an invoice today for $862, two and a half times more than the estimate! Any pointers on how to handle this? Thank you.

Michele Cusack Pollak & Cusack

are you sure he didn't say $350/hour?

to tell you the truth, lawyers are very unlikely to go after you for unpaid fees. If you pay what you think is fair, you'll probably get away with it.

I'm not so sure that I agree with Ms. Cusack as to getting away with not paying the attorney. I know attorneys in the Los Angeles area who are frequently in court suing their own clients. Personally, I don't like to sue my clients, and withdraw from representation or decline to represent potential clients who exhibit problems with paying.

Since you state this person is your attorney, I assume you have a retainer agreement with the attorney. I suggest you carefully review your retainer agreement.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California