Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My father and I have a small business/ investment together, we are equal partners. He has passed away and there is no will. Can my brother and sisters come after my fathers share of the business? Or am I now full owner of the business?

Asked on 8/22/13, 11:44 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Palley Meissner, Joseph & Palley, Inc.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Unfortunately they can go after dad's share of the business. I encourage you to find a probate attorney to help you out. Maybe you can work out a deal that's fair to all. -John

Read more
Answered on 8/22/13, 11:46 am
Thomas Reid Happe Reid, PC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I would agree with Mr. Palley. However, if you had a buy/sell agreement in place with your father, you may have a right to purchase his share of the business from his estate before it passes to your siblings. You should seek out an estate planning attorney to assist you.

Read more
Answered on 8/22/13, 12:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now