California  |  Wills and Trusts

How do i find out if i am in my dad's will?

My dad passed away in CA 3 months ago.

His wife lives in UT.

I am his only son. I live in OR.

Answered on: 2/15/10, 9:02 pm by Daniel Bakondi

I could check to see if probate proceedings was started in the county where he lived, and start from there.

Best,

Daniel Bakondi, Esq.

danielbakondi@yahoo.com

415-450-0424

The Law Office of Daniel Bakondi

870 Market Street, Suite 1161

San Francisco CA 94102

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication may contain confidential information, privileged information, or attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient or received this message in error, any use or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited and unlawful. Please notify the sender immediately, and delete this message. No attorney-client nor confidential relationship is created through this communication. Nothing communicated or provided constitutes legal advice nor a legal opinion unless it so specifies and written agreement for attorney services has been entered into. Your issue may be time sensitive and may result in loss of rights if you do not act in time. Thank you.

The Law Office of Daniel Bakondi 870 Market Street, Suite 1157 San Francisco, CA 94102

Answered on: 2/16/10, 2:18 pm by Grenville Pridham

The easiest way to find out is to ask his wife for a copy of your dad's will. If she is uncooperative, then you could petition the court where your father was domiciled at the time of his death to be appointed administrator of his estate. If your dad died without a will (intestate) then you would split your father's share of property with his wife. This all may be moot if your father had no assets. Good luck in your search.

Law Office of Grenville Pridham 2522 Chambers Road Tustin, CA 92780

Answered on: 2/18/10, 9:17 am by Jonathan Reich

The first step is to check the Court file in the County where he lived to see if a probate has been opened. You can do this easily on line by going to the appropriate Court website and searching under probate matters for your father's name. If you need further help, please do not hesitate to call us.

Jon Reich

310.478.2541

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The above response is not intended to, and does not, create an attorney-client, fiduciary or other confidential relationship with the responder. Neither does it constitute the providing of legal advice or services or the giving of a legal opinion by the responder. Such a relationship can only be created, and legal advice and/or legal services provided, pursuant to a written agreement with the responder. Accordingly, no obligations of any kind are assumed with respect to any matter or question presented. It should also be noted that legal issues are often time sensitive and legal rights may be lost or compromised if you do not act in a timely fashion.

De Castro, West, Chodorow, Glickfeld & Nass, Inc. 10960 Wilshire Blvd, 14th Floor Los Angeles, CA 90024