Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California


I'm a 26 year old male and the single child of my father who somewhat recently passed away (December 14) in San Francisco without a will, while living with his girlfriend. Since his passing his girlfriend has taken claim to some of his possesions by stating they he had given them to her before he died, however there is no will in place stating as such. They lived together for one year and six months. I am wondering what my rights are and how I go about legally retrieving the items she has taken?

Thank you so much for your help


Asked on 5/21/13, 10:36 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Perry Law Offices of Charles R. Perry
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

Your girlfriend has no rights to your father's property, unless she can prove that that property was given to her.

Unfortunately, the process for retrieving those goods is messy. You would need to go through some sort of probate proceeding to establish your right to take possession of those goods. This may be more expensive than it is worth. I suggest you meet with a lawyer experienced in probate for advice.

Read more
Answered on 5/22/13, 2:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now