Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My Mom pass away last year August 2013 she has a living trust and a pullover will done in 2004 in New York, later she bought a senior Condo in Californis, worth about $90,000,(control by the city) but was not put into the NY trust. do I need to do a probate or a short probate on this Condo.

Asked on 5/13/13, 2:25 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Aaron Feldman Feldman Law Group
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I doubt you can Petition to include the condo in the Trust, but an attorney reading the trust might be able to find a way to to do this, which would be faster and cheaper than a Probate Petition. Otherwise, you are looking at a Petition to Determine Successor to Real Estate, which is an expedited Probate proceeding available where the value is under $150,000, which appears to be the case here.

Read more
Answered on 5/13/13, 2:29 pm
Victor Waid Law Office of Victor Waid
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Aaron Feldman's answer is good advice. Probate legal counsel should be engaged to assist you in this matter.

Read more
Answered on 5/13/13, 3:30 pm
Rosemary Meagher-Leonard Law Office of Rosemary Meagher-Leonard
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I am sorry for your loss.

I agree with Attorney Feldman. A Petition to Determine Successor to Real Property is probably the best course of action. Assuming that your mother died a resident of California, and because the real property is located in California, it may be possible to file a Heggstad Petition in Probate Court to establish your mother's intention that the property be part of her trust. However such a Petition would be more costly than the Petition to Determine Succession and proving your mother's intent may be difficult.

Read more
Answered on 5/13/13, 3:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88563 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now