Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

Hello. I have been named executor of my father's revocable Living Trust. I changed my name when I got married 25 years ago; replacing my original middle name with my family's last name; and adopting the last name of my husband. (Example here: My maiden name was R.Y.D. and my married name is R.D. H.) My father showed me the Trust document a few weeks ago, and my name is on it with the old middle name and the married surname (R.Y.H.). My father and his attorney (who drafted the will) both say it is okay to leave it this way; nothing will be affected. I am very nervous about this, however, since I have a brother and a sister who are co-beneficiaries (as am I) on the Trust, and I fear that my sister, in particular, would take unfair advantage of the misspelled name in order to invalidate my assignment to executorship. Please tell me, should I go to the Social Services office and add my old middle name in to my legal name? (I live in California). Thank you very much.

Asked on 2/11/10, 8:57 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Bakondi The Law Office of Daniel Bakondi
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Is the name misspelled, or is it your unmarried name?


Daniel Bakondi

[email protected]


IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication may contain confidential information, privileged information, or attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient or received this message in error, any use or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited and unlawful. Please notify the sender immediately, and delete this message. No attorney-client nor confidential relationship is created through this communication. Nothing communicated or provided constitutes legal advice nor a legal opinion unless it so specifies and written agreement for attorney services has been entered into. Your issue may be time sensitive and may result in loss of rights if you do not act in time. Thank you.

Read more
Answered on 2/16/10, 11:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now