Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

my parents are going to have an Attorney create a living trust for all of there property.

My sister and I are getting a 50/50 split. Due to the economy, I've lived in my parents

house for about 10 years now. I have furniture, TV, stereo and some very expensive

brass trains in my bedroom, I also have about 2,500 dollars worth of automotive tools

in the garage. How can I be sure that my personal property is kept separate from the

general living trust.

Asked on 9/05/12, 9:53 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michele Cusack Pollak & Cusack
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You could ask your parents to make it clear in their estate planning documents which articles in their home belong to you. If you're lucky, they won't also deduct 10 years of rent from your share of the estate.

Read more
Answered on 9/06/12, 12:28 am
Donald Field Donald L. Field, Jr., Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

you should retain a qualified attorney to prepare a written agreement with your parents regarding your property, with a detailed list of all items (in addition to ensuring that your property is not listed in the schedule of assets being transferred to the trust or in an assignment of tangible personal property to the trust).

Read more
Answered on 9/08/12, 12:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now