Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

This regards a probate case. There was a will and non relative is contesting. The case was in Southern California and the judge ruled in our favor for a change to Northern California. How long does the person contesting the will have to file her case in in Northern California? Is there a statute of limitations?

Asked on 5/20/13, 11:35 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Charles Perry Law Offices of Charles R. Perry
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

There is no statute of limitations on re-filing a will.

The key question is whether the southern CA case was "dismissed" or "transferred." If there was a transfer, there is no need for a new filing -- and the transfer process can be quite long.

If there was a dismissal, then a re-filing is necessary. It isn't clear why anyone is waiting to re-file. I suggest you meet with probate counsel as soon as possible to get guidance on this matter, and perhaps to force the issue of the contest.

Read more
Answered on 5/20/13, 11:45 am
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I disagree with Mr. Perry. There are special time limits for will challenges, but they are not commonly called statutes of limitation.

The term "pre-probate contest" is a term of art that refers to objections to a will before its admission to probate. A pre-probate will contest must be filed before the hearing set by the petition for letters of administration. "When a will is contested under Section 8004, the contestant shall file with the court an objection to probate of the will." (Prob. Code, 8250).

A post probate will contest is called "revocation of probate." The time for filing a post probate objection is 120 days after the will is admitted to probate. "Within 120 days after a will is admitted to probate, any interested person, other than a party to a will contest and other than a person who had actual notice of a will contest in time to have joined in the contest, may petition the court to revoke the probate of the will." (Prob. Code, 8270).

Read more
Answered on 5/20/13, 12:14 pm
Gary R. White Burton & White
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You need to consult with a probate attorney to review the status of what has occurred so far regarding probate of the will and the status of what you are calling a "contesting of the will".

Read more
Answered on 5/22/13, 2:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88563 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now