California  |  Wills and Trusts

Do I have to provide my social security number to the executor in order to collect an inheritance? The letter instructs me to but I don't like the executor and don't trust him with my social security number. Thanks!

Answered on: 9/26/13, 2:28 pm by Neal Rimer

Yes. The executor needs your SS # so the estate's CPA can prepare the tax return for the estate and distribute the taxable amounts, if any, to the beneficiaries in proportion to their interest in the estate. You will receive a K-1 from the executor, on behalf of the estate for any monies you received that have a tax effect on you... either income or deductible losses.

Neal M. Rimer, Esquire 16055 Ventura Boulevard Suite 650 Encino, CA 91436-2633

Answered on: 9/26/13, 3:56 pm by Victor Waid

Mr Rimer is correct about the requirement of providing your Social Security # to the executor of the estate to be provided to the CPA for preparation of the estate tax return.

Law Office of Victor Waid 777 Campus Commons Rd., Suite 200 Sacramento, CA 95825