California  |  Wills and Trusts

Several years ago, I was listed as a beneficiary in a will of a close family friend, which we were aware of. When this family friend passed, the son my contacted my mother about the will and asked about me.

He ended up giving us the wrong info about the funeral arrangements and bailed out of town without giving us any info about anything.

The last thing I wanted was worry about receiving anything from her, especially after her death.

Its been a while now and I was just wondering if I can legally do anything about it.

Answered on: 5/16/13, 11:31 am by Chris Johnson

It depends on how long ago, but I'd start with a check at the county courthouse where she lived, as he's required to file the will with the court after her death, and if probate was required and opened, there would be a record of that as well. If it was an estate small enough to avoid probate, and he was a beneficiary of the will, your recourse is likely against him, up to the amount of assets he received from the estate.

Christopher B. Johnson, Attorney at Law 283 South Lake Avenue, Suite 200 Pasadena, CA 91101

Answered on: 5/16/13, 1:26 pm by Victor Waid

Prior assessment and analysis answer by counsel is correct. Your recourse, if any, is very uncertain.

Law Office of Victor Waid 777 Campus Commons Rd., Suite 200 Sacramento, CA 95825