California  |  Workers Comp

10 % late penalty

My $50,000 w/c settlement was post dated 4 days after the 25 days allowed.

It put me in a bad position,I had purchased a $24,500 car,cash 2 days before money was due, I told car dealer I would bring cash within a few days,and drove home the car,

needless to say they called every other day,saying ''where's the money'', I had to stall

for 1 1/2 weeks. Labor Code 5814 states I'm due a 10% penalty ($5000) if later than

25 days. Is there ANY reason why they would not have to pay this? They would like to

negotiate the fee. I would like them to pay me the whole amt. Do insurance co. make

a habit of paying late because no one goes after the late fee? Are there any stats

to tell me the % of claims that get the 10% if I take it in front of the w/c appeals board? The paper work has already been filed. Thank you very much for your time

and information

Experienced Workers' Compensation Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping injured workers all over California. We can help you recover for your injuries as a result of an accident at work. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.