Legal Question in Workers Comp in California

10 % late penalty

My $50,000 w/c settlement was post dated 4 days after the 25 days allowed.

It put me in a bad position,I had purchased a $24,500 car,cash 2 days before money was due, I told car dealer I would bring cash within a few days,and drove home the car,

needless to say they called every other day,saying ''where's the money'', I had to stall

for 1 1/2 weeks. Labor Code 5814 states I'm due a 10% penalty ($5000) if later than

25 days. Is there ANY reason why they would not have to pay this? They would like to

negotiate the fee. I would like them to pay me the whole amt. Do insurance co. make

a habit of paying late because no one goes after the late fee? Are there any stats

to tell me the % of claims that get the 10% if I take it in front of the w/c appeals board? The paper work has already been filed. Thank you very much for your time

and information

Experienced Workers' Compensation Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping injured workers all over California. We can help you recover for your injuries as a result of an accident at work. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.

Laurie Allread Law Offices of Laurie Allread

Re: 10 % late penalty

Yes, you are correct the insurance company probably owes you a 10% penalty. However, there are a few exceptions. It is common for the insurance companies to attempt to settle the claim for less than the potential value.

Laurie Allread

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in California

Workers' Compensation Law Legal Forms