Legal Question in Workers Comp in California

I injured my back in 1998. I filed workers comp and was eventually returned to work. Now years later I am having difficulty with my back. Can I reopen my claim?

Experienced Workers' Compensation Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping injured workers all over California. We can help you recover for your injuries as a result of an accident at work. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.

ARMAN MOHEBAN LAW OFFICES OF ARMAN MOHEBAN

Yes, You need to file a continuous trauma type of injury claim since you returned to work. However, I need more information to be able to tell you whether your claim is not barred by statute of Limitation. Feel free to call us at 213.388.7070 for a free consultation.

Nancy Wallace Nancy Wallace

NO. YOUR DEADLINE to prove 'new & further" disability from a 1998 injury expired in 2003.

You may, however, file a NEW claim, asserting the everyday stresses and strains and repetitive lifting/twisting resulted in a NEW INJURY, we call it a Repetitive Trauma or Continuous Trauma injury.

If you tell everyone it's your 'old back injury' flaring up, a new claim will be DENIED.

If you resolved the old claim by Stipulations With Request for Award and all parties checked "there is" on item 4 (need for future medical treatment), you are entitled to TREATMENT but just for the state of in the injury in 1998...

I would (1) ELECT A PRIMARY PHYSICIAN for workers comp purposes and have that in your personnal file, selected a well-reviewed and honored board-certified ortho surgeon NOT at the employer's little 'occupational clinic' but a real doctor with excellent reviews on HEALTHGRADES, THEN

(2) FILE A CLAIM FOR A REPETITIVE TRAUMA INJURY to the spine, ONLY CLAIMING THE LAST YEAR AS THE PERIOD IN WHICH YOUR SPINE WAS HURT.

The rules are the insurer/employer only go back one year, so if you say you hurt your back in 2009, you'll get a denial and lose in court.

If you say youve got a repetitive trauma from 2011-2012, you're right on schedule and they'll struggle to find a reason to deny you (because they won't find hardly any record of the 1998 claim and you returned to full duty with no restrictions, so that 1998 claim was not a significant injury).

Email me if you need help: nancywallace@imhurt.info

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in California

Workers' Compensation Law Legal Forms