Legal Question in Family Law in Colorado

Child Support arrears

On the advise of an attorney my husband re-opened a 20 yr case with CSE to pay back support. They are trying to assess 20K on arrears that were transfered from NV to CO. Another attorney we are working with now is saying they can put a lien on bank accounts and property that are in my name (wife). This is my husband debt not mine. Are there any attorneys out there that can help us???

Asked on 10/22/03, 1:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

The Harris Law Firm, P.C The Harris Law Firm, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Child Support arrears

Under Colorado law the creditor cannot go after assets that are listed solely in the name of the debtor’s spouse (you), but they can garnish funds in a joint account(s) as long as the debtor (your husband) is listed on the account. Keep in mind, if the debtor (your husband) has access to the funds in any joint account, the creditor can garnish ALL the money contained therein. THIS INFORMATION SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS LEGAL ADVICE.

Read more
Answered on 10/23/03, 6:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Colorado

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Craig EpifanioCraig Epifanio, P.A.St Petersburg, FL
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now