Legal Question in Family Law in Connecticut

I am at the beginning of a divorce.. We are still living together and I have decided after the divorce is final to leave the marriage home. However, I have to save some of my paycheck to be able to find an apartment suitable for myself and my 2 children. As it is now he is requiring me to give him my entire paycheck for household expenses. After a discussion about stopping this agreement, he threatened what he called "Forced Contribution". I am wondering if he can do this?

Asked on 3/12/10, 11:47 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Sarah Summons Law Offices of Sarah F. Summons
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Don't bow to threats. You and your children have rights protected by the courts. There needs to be financial affidavits completed so that the court can determine who pays what based upon earning and debts and liabilities. You need to have an attorney and should not try to do this yourself. Best wishes.

Read more
Answered on 3/17/10, 12:35 pm
Linda Subbloie Linda A. Subbloie, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Actually, he can file a motion for contribution to household expenses pendente lite and request that the court order you to contribute to the expenses of the household.

I don't know what the expenses are on the marital home, nor what each of you earn, but I don't think it is reasonable for all of your paycheck to be used for the household.

I think you should file a motion for child support and maybe alimony (if you earn substantially less than he does) This puts you on the offensive. You could request weekly support so you and the children can move out now, not later. (I'm not sure a court is going to give you a "savings plan" opportunity to be cashed in later) The house should be put on the market for sale, since obviously he doesn't think he earns enough to keep it and buy you out.

You should start looking for a place to live and determine what it will cost you each month. You should have this information before you go to court.

Read more
Answered on 3/17/10, 1:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Connecticut

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now