Legal Question in Family Law in Connecticut

I want a divorce. I work full time as a nursr practitioner. My husband has been out of work [and not really trying to find work] for seven years despite my efforts to get him to find employment. Will I have to pay him alimony in a settlement?

Asked on 10/02/13, 9:42 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Heffernan Heffernan Legal Group, LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Maybe. The court will assign him an earning capacity based on what he is capable of doing. If after assigning that capacity your incomes would be about the same, then no alimony. If it still looks as though you make a lot more, then you might have to pay alimony, but at that point, a lot of other factors come in to play such as the length of the marriage, the reason for the breakdown of the marriage, the health, education of the parties, etc.

Read more
Answered on 10/02/13, 10:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Connecticut

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now