Connecticut  |  Immigration Law

Time allowed outside the USA

I have married a Czech woman who has recieved her permanent resident card. We have been outside the USA for 5 months and am wondering when she has to be back in the country. I have heard 6 months is the maximum. Is this true? How long does she have to stay until she can leave again? Thank you for your help.

Answered on: 5/24/08, 2:55 am by Glen Prior

Re: Time allowed outside the USA

From the Immigration Service's cite at :

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=fe17e6b0eb13d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=4f719c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

International Travel

A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration.

You can find more information about travel documents from "How Do I Get a Travel Document?"

Pacific Law, Inc., P.S. 3700 Pacific Hwy E. #306 Fife, WA 98424

Answered on: 5/22/08, 12:23 pm by Rachel Baskin

Re: Time allowed outside the USA

There is a presumption that if she remains outside of the US for more than 6 months that she has abandoned her permanent residence. If she has a good reason to stay outside of the US for that time (ie, family or work) then she may be eligible to apply for special permission to remain outside of the US. However, she must apply for this special travel permit while in the US.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please do not hestitate to contact me.

Rachel Baskin, Attorney at Law 420 Lexington Avenue, Suite 300 New York, NY 10170

Answered on: 5/22/08, 12:51 pm by Tsirina Goroshit

Re: Time allowed outside the USA

She can stay out of U.S for 6 months, for a good reason up to one year. However, if she wants to be out for more then a year, she must obtain

re-entry permit.

Please contact us for detailed information at www.lawmakesadifference.com

Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit & Associates, P.C. 275 Madison Ave., 4th Floor New York, NY 10016