Legal Question in Immigration Law in Delaware


I am doing PhD in USA. I have j-1 visa. I want to establish a company to sell some clothes online.

1) Do I have right to start a company in USA? First I want to be sure about this.

2) Someone told me that I can start the company, but can't work for it. If this is true, can I own %100 of the company and hire someone to do works in the company?

Asked on 12/03/11, 11:01 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rebecca White Law Office of Rebecca White
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

On a J visa you can not be an employee. You may be able to start a company and have others work for you without violating the terms of your J visa. However, there are going to be other long term considerations relating to immigration status after your J visa is up. You would do well with a consultation regarding options prior to starting your business so that you can plan a long term business and immigration strategy. I can be reached at [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 12/05/11, 11:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Delaware

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now