District of Columbia  |  Criminal Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/29/13, 5:23 am

I got caught shop lifting a $5 cd in may. The officer had me make a deal to we're I would become a drug informer for him since I work in the night life industry. He has called me several times and texted me about going through with it. I spoke to my attourney and he recommended for my safety that it would not be a good idea. He then instructed me to not have any contact with the officer. I recently just moved from Washington, D.C. To Texas.. The night that I moved I went into my work to say y goodbyes and the officer who detained me walks up to me and says " just checking to see if you still work here" then he leaves. Well another month goes by and I'm currently living in Tx. He calls me and leaves me a voice mail and text messages me saying he will have a warrant for my arrest next week. My attourney told me not to worry. I don't know how to feel about it an i wanted a 2nd opinion. Would d.c. Really issue a warrant, expedite me all the way back to d.c. And prosecute me over a cd that was $4.99?

1 Answer

Answered on: 7/29/13, 7:34 am by Jason Cleckner

They may not extradite you, but it could certainly cause a lot of issues. For instance, you could be arrested in Texas and held for an inordinate amount of time until DC tells TX they won't come get you. If your attorney hasn't told you to come to DC to take care of this to avoid these issues, you need a new attorney. This would be easy to take care of (other than the travel), you just come to court to remove the warrant (if there really is a warrant), and then several more times.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Jason Cleckner, LLC 110 N. Washington Street, Suite 400 Rockville, MD 20850

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search