Legal Question in Family Law in District of Columbia

Got married in 2006 in VA, live in DC, spouse got deported and have lost communication with him, our son has his last name and i would like to change our son's last name to mine. I would like to get a divorce and change my son's last name in DC. Should I hire an attorney or do it on my own and how do i do it on my own?

Torrance Colvin The Colvin Law Firm

Your choice. ;-)

The divorce would be a simple divorce. Only issue you would have is you can't serve your husband, so you would probably have to provide notice for posting (for both your divorce and your son's name change). You would have to petition the court for a name change for your minor child and the judge is afforded the discretion to approve or disallow the name change based on varying factors.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in District of Columbia