Legal Question in Family Law in District of Columbia

I obtained an absolute divorce from my ex-husband in March. ( I live in DC and he lives in MD (Prince Georges County). We have a 4 year old daughter; and, are in the middle of a custody case ( in DC). However, I have been planning on moving to NC for many months and he is well aware and has wished me well (via e-mail and over the phone) many times. Now, however, he is telling me that if I move it will be considered kidnapping. I have not told him exactly when, because our relationship has deterioriated rapidly in a few months, but it is before school starts. He is behind thousands of dollars in child support (court ordered); and, rarely sees our daughter now. What can I do?

Asked on 7/10/12, 8:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paula McGill Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you are in the middle of the custody case, you cannot move hundreds of miles away without court permission.

At the same time, if he wants to play hardball, file a motion for contempt against him for his failure to pay child support.

Both matters can be heard at once. I doubt you will be able to get court permission before school. However, this move issue should have been before the court months ago.

Also license and practicing in DC

1425 K Street, NW

Suite 350

Washington, DC 20005


Read more
Answered on 7/12/12, 11:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in District of Columbia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now