Legal Question in Family Law in District of Columbia

I obtained an absolute divorce from my ex-husband in March. ( I live in DC and he lives in MD (Prince Georges County). We have a 4 year old daughter; and, are in the middle of a custody case ( in DC). However, I have been planning on moving to NC for many months and he is well aware and has wished me well (via e-mail and over the phone) many times. Now, however, he is telling me that if I move it will be considered kidnapping. I have not told him exactly when, because our relationship has deterioriated rapidly in a few months, but it is before school starts. He is behind thousands of dollars in child support (court ordered); and, rarely sees our daughter now. What can I do?

Paula McGill Attorney at Law

If you are in the middle of the custody case, you cannot move hundreds of miles away without court permission.

At the same time, if he wants to play hardball, file a motion for contempt against him for his failure to pay child support.

Both matters can be heard at once. I doubt you will be able to get court permission before school. However, this move issue should have been before the court months ago.

Also license and practicing in DC

1425 K Street, NW

Suite 350

Washington, DC 20005

(202)294-0435

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in District of Columbia