District of Columbia  |  Intellectual Property

Got a legal notice about a software that I listed on ebay, no sale made, but law firm is asking for $375. Should I pay or defy?

I listed a student version of a software on ebay (I did not know that student versions are not to be resold) and the listing was removed so there was no sale and I received no money. A law firm sent me a notice asking me to send answers to questions like how much money was made and also to include a check of $375.

I called them and said that I should not have to pay any money to them because I didn't make any sales and that I thought it was ok to re-sell student version but they said that I have to pay it regardless. They are just harassing me and want me to budge and pay them but I don't want to do that. If I did not make any money, there was no damage done to the software company.

I live 250 miles from NY where they are based, is it worth the hassle to deny the payment and face possible lawsuit proceedings?