Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in District of Columbia

I have rented my home for almost two years. The day we moved in the gas company red tagged our heater, there has never been even one smoke alarm or carbon monoxide detector and to top it all off the running cold water in the kitchen just trickles out.

Can I sue for the money we paid in rent since the land lord rented me a unit that was uninhabitable




Asked on 5/30/13, 10:55 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Travis Murrell Travis A Murrell, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Residential leases in the District of Columbia have an implied warranty of habitability. That said Tenants may not initiate a suit in D.C. for paid rent. However, a tenant may withhold rent and counterclaim once the Landlord sues in Landlord and Tenant Court. The Tenant can also file a tenant petition with rent control depending upon the landlord's status.

Read more
Answered on 5/31/13, 5:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in District of Columbia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now