Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

Probation with no arrest

My 15 year old daughter was detained for shoplifting. She was in the company of a young girl who stole some items and then as they were just about to exit the young girl handed my daughter her purse and said, ''take this to the car while i pay for these other things'' at which time my daughter walked part way out, turned around to come back and was detained by the officer. The police were called but they never arrived. I was then called to come pick her up. There was no arrest or plea/judgement of innocent or guilty. We simply received a letter in the mail telling us to be at the probabtion officers at which time we assume they are going to give her community service of some kind and place her on probabtion. I don't understand how she can be on probabtion without a court order or even arrest for that matter. Thanks for your time.

Valerie Masters Valerie Masters, P.A.

Re: Probation with no arrest

I dont think she is on probation yet. She is going for an assesment and they will make a recommendation. She can still plea not guilty and have a bench trial.

Richard Hornsby Richard E. Hornsby, P.A.

Re: Probation with no arrest

YOur child is being prosecuted as a juvenile. Therefore it is necessary for you to report to a Juvenile Probation Officer pending the final resolution of teh case.

The Officer will not impose any sanctions, but will monitor your child while the case is ongoing. It is standard procedure.

Russell Mace Russell Mace & Associates P.A.

Re: Probation with no arrest

It sounds like there is a problem. She cannot be place on probation without a judge ordering her to be placed on probation.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida