Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

Hello, I wrote a check in december, it bounced, and i procrastinated about taking care of it. I didnt know there was a warrant. I was arrested yesterday, bonded out, and am waiting for a court date. Because it was over 150.00, it's a felony. No matter the outcome, I will eventually try to get it expunged.

From looking at the statutes, I think if i'm found "guilty", I cant get it expunged, whereas if theres "adjudication withheld", i would be able to expunge it. Can I ask a judge to withhold adjutication? Thanks very much.

Asked on 6/23/11, 4:07 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Craig Epifanio Craig Epifanio, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If adjudication is withheld then you can get it sealed (but not expunged). You can ask but it would be better if you had representation. Your future could depend on what happens with this charge so don't mess around and try to do this yourself. Even if you can't afford an attorney, you should get a public defender to help you.

Read more
Answered on 6/23/11, 4:16 pm
Karen Kilpatrick
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You can only expunge the record if the charges against you are eventually dropped. If you receive a withholding of adjudication, then you would be able to seal the record, assuming you meet all other eligibility requirements.

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 6/23/11, 5:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now