Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Florida

We have paid our final payment in chap 13 bankruptcy but have not received our discharge yet.. we surrendered a house in the bankruptcy, but they still haven't foreclosed on it after 3 years..can we quit claim the property to someone else for a $1000?

Asked on 7/03/13, 12:44 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

R. Jason de Groot R. Jason de Groot, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No, you cannot quitclaim the home to someone else besides perhaps the lender.

Read more
Answered on 7/03/13, 4:27 am
Sanford M. Martin Sanford M. Martin, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Also, Chap 13 bankruptcy and foreclosure are two different processes. Banks or lenders control foreclosure and often wait, for various reasons, several years. Chap 13 awaits the

Trustee to make a final accounting and ask the court to close the case. You can still work

out a DIL (deed in lieu) with your lender to resolve the foreclosure, but often banks will not

mediate, renegotiate, or modify the terms, for whatever reason serves their objectives.

Read more
Answered on 7/03/13, 6:27 am
Charles Andersen Charles Andersen, Atty
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

After three years things start to change a little bit due to laches on the part of the creditor. So long as the buyer has full knowledge that the bank can foreclose the house at any time without further notice, I suppose it's allright, but speak with a local attorney first.


Read more
Answered on 7/05/13, 6:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now