Legal Question in Business Law in Florida

Hi,

I recently left a job position on June 2nd of last month. While I was under employment with them, I was provided a benefit as a part of my compensation. The benefit included my number be added to and covered under their cell phone business plan. While under the plan, I made 1 upgrade to my phone, which I paid the full $200 for the phone. When I left the company, I requested consent to take my number off of their plan to my own plan with a carrier of my choice. That request was approved.

Since I left, they have incurred an early termination fee from their mobile service provider as a result of my phone being removed from the account. Last week, they sent a text message to me stating for me to give them the amount of the fee so they can pay the mobile service provider. I declined because I feel this was a benefit that they provided, and they should accept the risk.

I did not sign any contract or make any verbal agreement with them to pay any termination fees. They never told me during or prior to receiving the benefit that I would be liable to pay any fees. I was never made aware of this when I accepted the benefit.

The amount of the fee is $330.74 so I believe if this went to court, it would go to a small claims court.

If this did go to small claims court, what are the chances the court ruling in my favor?

Thank you in advanced.

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Sounds like you have a valid defense.

More Business Law questions and answers in Florida

Business Law Legal Forms