Florida  |  Consumer Law

I took my boat to a local repair shop in running condition for a fuel problem.They went through the fuel system and said they had it running fine, they checked all alarms and said everything was working great.They took it on a test run afterwards, and said he took it out about a mile or so

and on the way back, the motor developed a knock. He tore the motor down and seen the block had cracks from where they blew the #2 cylinder while test running the boat. He then called and told me it would cost $3,600 to fix this issue. The boat is now not running and the motor is in pieces. He wants me to pay him $700 for fixing the fuel system and pick the boat up as is, with the motor not running and in pieces. This is a legitimate store front business with license and insurance. Do I have a case?

Answered on: 8/26/13, 6:52 am by Angelo Marino

This is a very difficult issue to resolve easily. It is akin to taking your car to a repair shop. How do you know what caused the problem? Did it just occur or did the repair people cause it? The only way to resolve this, I believe, is to take a cost analysis approch to it. What would it cost you to have someone, an expert, look at the motor to see what happened and who if anyone is at fault? Assuming the repair shop is at fault, what is it going to cost to sue, considering fees and costs? Is it really going to be worth while?

Unless you can prove the repair shop violated the unfair and deceptive trade practices act, which entitles the prevailing party-- you or the repair shop to fees and costs-- it is going to cost you a lot of money to pursue the matter.

Angelo Marino Jr. PA 645 SE 5 Terrace Ft Lauderdale, 33301