Florida  |  Credit and Debt Law

I am inquiring for a friend of mine who recently lost his wife to alcoholism. This is a Florida Law question. He has been getting tons of mail from credit card companies saying he owes a lot of money (around $60,000) that he didn't know about. Come to find out, she had cards taken out with her name on them (first her maiden name then their married name) and he didn't know about them or sign anything stating that he gave his permission for her to do that. He's wondering how much of this he can get out of since he would be paying this off for the rest of his life. "What kind of a lawyer" would I look for ( in the Tarpon Springs area, or close) to handle something like this? I have no idea without calling every single lawyer in the book(I gave his correct zip code in the information below..Thank you.

Answered on: 8/21/13, 6:06 pm by Angelo Marino

If none of the cards are in his name, he in not liable for the debts. He should write to the collection companies and tell them his wife passed aways and that he is not responsible for the debts. See my website under debt collection and sample forms for a cease and desist letter. See www.ConsumerLawyerHelp.com. He can also find a lawyer in his town under NACA (see web site again) who is a consumer lawyer to help him. But frankly, any consumer lawyer in Florida can help him.

Angelo Marino Jr. PA 645 SE 5 Terrace Ft Lauderdale, 33301