Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Florida

I you have been paying monthly $50 or more in the state of Florida, do they have the right to turn the bill to a collection agncy

Asked on 5/09/13, 1:39 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Angelo Marino Angelo Marino Jr. PA
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Not if it is an agreed upon minimum payment, but otherwise, yes.

Read more
5/09/13, 1:46 pm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You would have to have a formal agreement. If no such agreement is in place, even if you called the merchant or facility stating you will be making payments, they have the right to send you to a collection agency to collect an unpaid balance. The collection agency has to follow laws regarding fair collection practices, though. For instance, they cannot harass you at work.

Read more
5/09/13, 6:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88333 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now