Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

I was arrested with someone who was breaking into cars, but I was not. I was in my vehicle and picked him up and dropped him off. I ended up going to jail that night, and was in there for 4 days. I was released on SOR. My charges were dropped and not filed due to lack of evidence, and basically i was just a driver. They impounded my car and I am working to get it out. They are saying $5000 to get it out or it goes to the courts for trial in 11 days. My charges were dropped, I didn't get convicted of this crime nor am i guilty. How are they allowed to keep my truck? I dont understand. He may be in jail and have charges against him but I dont, and it is MY vehicle. I dont even know the guy personally. Please help, i don;t know my rights with this.

Joseph Justice The Justice Law Firm

Florida Statute 932.701 allows law enforcement to seize a motor vehicle used in the commission or attempted commission of a felony. They will need to show that you knew or should have known the vehicle was being used toward the criminal activity.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida

Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA