Florida  |  Criminal Law

I got arrested 2 months ago, and got a bail bondsman, who got me out. I went to court and got probation. I still owe the bondsman 500$. He said if I don't pay him, that it would violate my probation, and they would come to arrest me. Is this true, or is he just trying to scare me? And did he already get his money back from the court?

Answered on: 7/12/13, 3:56 pm by Joseph Justice

They can off bond you which means they revoke your bond and return you to jail.

The Justice Law Firm 6739 Land O lakes Blvd Land O Lakes, FL 34639

Answered on: 7/12/13, 4:00 pm by Craig Epifanio

Unless the judge made payment to your bondsman a condition of probation (which I have never heard of), then no they have no power to violate your probation. Once your case closes out by a plea, then the bondsman is off the case and they have no jurisdiction in the criminal case. As far as owing and what they can legally do, there is not enough information here to answer your question. If a bondsman took on a bond such as a $5000 bond, meaning that 10% at most is paid to the bondsman, then they could sue you in civil court if that 10% was never paid. But I have never heard of a bondsman not getting their fee up front. If they don't, then their remedy is to sue you in civil court. So, I wouldn't worry about the probation but you should probably talk to an attorney in person to make sure there isn't more to this.

Craig Epifanio, P.A. 5445 16th Street N St Petersburg, FL 33703