Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

My boyfriend was stopped recently for expired tags. The officer either smelled marijuana or thought that my boyfriend seemed under the influence. I am not sure exactly as I was not in the car. When the officer asked my boyfriend admitted and told the officer where it was. It was a joint and a few crumbs left over in a container. The officer then searched the vehicle finding nothing else. He was given a citation for the tags and a notice to appear. I was surprised he was not arrested although thankful. As the court date rapidly approaches I am unsure what to expect. It is his first and only offense. I assume there will be fees and possibly probation of some sort. I would just like a best/ worst case scenario.

Craig Epifanio Craig Epifanio, P.A.

If he gets an attorney, he can look into possible motions to suppress which would mean no fines and charge dismissed. That, of course, is best scenario. The max. penalty is one year in jail, and while that is unlikely, one year probation, regular drug tests, and a 2-year driver's license suspension often happens depending on the judge and prosecutor. Call an attorney in the area where this charge happened. It is a criminal offense and should be taken seriously. The fact that he didn't get arrested doesn't mean that this charge won't affect him the rest of his life.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida