Florida  |  Criminal Law

My daughter's fiance was arrested for possession of cocaine with intent to sell. There was a joint task force between a local city and DEA. He does not have money for a lawyer. I am concerned about the legal representation he will receive with the public defender's office, so I decided to get the discovery and see how strong the case was. I went to the city and got what they had (which was nothing), but they referenced a DEA case. I called the DEA office and asked for the records department, but instead they transferred me to the agent working the case, who proceeded to grill me about why I wanted the information and told me that because they were a federal agency they didn't have to release that information.

I was told that discovery used to prosecute a case is public record and as such any individual has a right to request that information. Is that correct??