Florida  |  Criminal Law

I have this friend whose close friend got into some trouble with the law & they used my friend as a witness in that case. In doing so they needed to retrieve his cellphone & in order to look at his text messages & pictures, which he signed for in agreement to help with the case. A few months later the case is over with & his friend received his punishment. My friend (the witness) gets called into the supervisor's office & he is informed that he is receiving a punishment for something illegal caught on video 2 years prior (he shot a gun off during New Year's). He apologized the main supervisor & admitted that it was immature on his part.

I was just wondering if they have a right to do that since the paper he signed for didn't specify videos (even though it might have been in the same area as the pictures) & the fact that it has nothing to do with the reason they needed to go in his phone in the first place. And his friend was punished for a completely different crime. Or different rules apply since they're both active duty military.