Legal Question in Criminal Law in Florida

student vs. police

On a Sunday, a teacher of my sons' saw him driving on our street, he's almost 15...no license. Monday, he beraded him in class and threatened to call the police and insist that the officer issue tickets to him and us (parents). Today, he is pulled out of class to report to the school patrol officer's office where he was questioned by him and another police officer. It was humiliating and embarrassing, not to mention scary. We had no notification of this meeting and only the 2 officers and my son were present. What are my options? The incident was not near the school and certainly not a school issue. We feel the school let us down, and the teacher is harrassing our son about this issue.

Brent Rose The Orsini & Rose Law Firm

Re: student vs. police

The school didn't let you down. Your son let you down by breaking the law. You can complain to the principal or the school board about what happened, but the primary question is, why was your son driving without a license? He's lucky they didn't arrest him. The teacher had every right to berate him, the officers had every right to question, embarass, and scare him.

Hopefully, he's learned a good lesson about following the law. That's sometimes what teachers are for. That's sometimes what cops are for.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Florida