Legal Question in DUI Law in Florida

I stopped taking all of my prescribed medications and had a manic episode. I was at Target for 6 hours shopping and was there until they closed. The manager was highly aggravated with me because I guess I had been in there for so long and when I went to pay for the items, I only had $90, and the total was $120. she wouldn't let me buy ANYTHING and then I left.The manager called a dispatcher right as I was leaving and told them that my mood was elevated and that she thought I was on speed. she then followed me in her car as I was driving to go home telling the dispatcher my tag number and then said she had to stop following me because of safety conditions and that I made a very wide turn onto the interstate. When I was pulled over by the cop, he didn't give me a reason as to what traffic violation I made... he just told me to perform a field sobriety test. I passed everything except when he asked me to count 30 seconds in my head, and I alleged counted 45 seconds. That was when he arrested me. He then ask for a urine sample and I said no. I didn't give them a urine sample because I knew even though I hadn't taken my medication in a week, that because I was consistently on them for months previous that they would still be in my system and would use them against me. I am still out on bail and this occurred July 25th 2012. The judge appointed a doctor to evaluate me and I guess he essentially set up an "insanity defense". I don't believe I was insane at the time, but I was definitely manic. Not on drugs or alcohol. What should I do? What can I do? what do you think about my case?

Mario Musil The Musil Law Firm

Having an evaluation done doesn't necessarily mean that an insanity defense is being setup - it is usually done to determine whether you are competent to stand trial.

It seems like there are a lot of facts at play in your case, if you don't have an attorney you may want one to review everything - especially whether or not the stop was done properly.

My office does free initial consultations.

Feel free to call me at 321 252 4396.

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Florida