Florida  |  DUI Law

I stopped taking all of my prescribed medications and had a manic episode. I was at Target for 6 hours shopping and was there until they closed. The manager was highly aggravated with me because I guess I had been in there for so long and when I went to pay for the items, I only had $90, and the total was $120. she wouldn't let me buy ANYTHING and then I left.The manager called a dispatcher right as I was leaving and told them that my mood was elevated and that she thought I was on speed. she then followed me in her car as I was driving to go home telling the dispatcher my tag number and then said she had to stop following me because of safety conditions and that I made a very wide turn onto the interstate. When I was pulled over by the cop, he didn't give me a reason as to what traffic violation I made... he just told me to perform a field sobriety test. I passed everything except when he asked me to count 30 seconds in my head, and I alleged counted 45 seconds. That was when he arrested me. He then ask for a urine sample and I said no. I didn't give them a urine sample because I knew even though I hadn't taken my medication in a week, that because I was consistently on them for months previous that they would still be in my system and would use them against me. I am still out on bail and this occurred July 25th 2012. The judge appointed a doctor to evaluate me and I guess he essentially set up an "insanity defense". I don't believe I was insane at the time, but I was definitely manic. Not on drugs or alcohol. What should I do? What can I do? what do you think about my case?

Answered on: 7/30/13, 3:40 pm by Mario Musil

Having an evaluation done doesn't necessarily mean that an insanity defense is being setup - it is usually done to determine whether you are competent to stand trial.

It seems like there are a lot of facts at play in your case, if you don't have an attorney you may want one to review everything - especially whether or not the stop was done properly.

My office does free initial consultations.

Feel free to call me at 321 252 4396.

The Musil Law Firm 5425 Village Drive #101B Viera, FL 32955