Legal Question in Elder Law in Florida

My brother has POA and is refusing to let my mom see me or my family. It was suggested that I need to get guardianship, but I can't afford it. Would it be wise to get an independent person appointed by the courts to be guardian?

Sanford M. Martin Sanford M. Martin, P.A.

Based on the facts described in your question, my advice is:

1. Under Florida law a POA or DPOA (Durable Power of Attorney) does not authorize the "attorney in fact" (your brother) to restrict visiting rights; a POA is to authorize a person to act in behalf of or represent another person. A POA does not appoint a guardian.

2. Whether a guardian for your mother is advisable depends on her legal capacity: Does she have limited mental capacity which seriously affects her ability to make basic life decisions (such as where to live, payment of bills, etc)? In Florida a probate court can determine whether a person such as your mother is incapacitated and requires appointment of a guardian.

3. My question: Why does your brother restrict your mother in this way? He may have a difficult challenge in explaining such restrictions to a court unless he can show such restrictions are for the benefit of your mother.

More Elder Law questions and answers in Florida