Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

im 25000.00 in child support rears due to 2 1/2 yrs unemploy. I am now working pt at home and have a roommate and still cant pay bills without help from parents. My ex says I will have to stay in jail until my parents pay it. Is this true and if not how much time and I facing

Asked on 6/19/13, 2:23 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No, your parents are not responsible. You will not be held in contempt if you have no funds to pay. You should try to pay something.

Read more
6/19/13, 3:20 pm
John Smitten Carey and Leisure
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Only the Court can sentence you to jail not your ex. Pay something each month more than zero, do the best you can so you will not be in contempt.

Read more
6/19/13, 4:36 pm
Carolyn Jones Law Office of Carolyn R. Jones
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Don't listen to your ex. You should pay something in the way of support. Also you should file a modification so the arreages don't continue to build. Best Wishes

Read more
6/20/13, 7:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88273 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now