Florida  |  Family Law

child support and rights

If in the original divorce paperwork, no child support was ordered then can my ex go after me for child support 4 years later even if I decide to sign my rights away before it goes to court?

Answered on: 8/24/07, 12:01 am by Scott R. Jay

Re: child support and rights

NOTE: This communication is not intended as and should not be interpreted as legal advice. Rather, it is intended solely as a general discussion of legal principles. You should not rely on or take action based on this communication without first presenting ALL relevant details to a competent attorney in your jurisdiction and then receiving the attorney's individualized advice for you. By reading the "Response" to your question or comment, you agree that the opinion expressed is not intended to, nor does it, create any attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. If you do not agree, then stop right here, and do not read any further.

As long as you still have parental rights, your ex can file for child support. If you decide to relinquish your rights before there is a hearing, it would be up to the court to decide whether or not you should be responsible for payment of any monies, including arrearages for previous years.

Scott R. Jay, Esq.

Law Offices of Scott R. Jay 1575 Northeast 205th Street Miami, FL 33179-2133