Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

contempt of court/change of custody/change jurisdiction

Divorced in Florida in '98. Shared parental responsibility with her having primary. My ex-wife moved to TX 4/07 against divorce decree, (only she not allowed to move). I moved to AR in October 07. She then moved to LA in 11/07, KY in 2/08 and now she states she is in Arkansas. She will not tell me a phone number to contact her or my children, or visitation. I am supposed to get alternate weekends, 4 weeks summer, daily calls, alternate holidays. I maybe able to track her down via her husbands job.

Can she block changing jurisdiction to AR since she now lives here to? Can a FL contempt motion change custody if children are in danger (one child was removed from hospital AMA).

I can not afford to outright pay a lawyer and she was represented by bay area legal in Hillsborough Co FL, so they will not represent me. I can do payments but do not know how to find a lawyer who will take payments.

What specific law states Florida doesn't retain jurisdiction if both parties out of state more then 6 months.

Alicia Santana Torres Santana Torres Law Offices, PL

Re: contempt of court/change of custody/change jurisdiction

Have you not seen your children since 4/07? You should have filed for contempt a long time ago if that is the case; the judge will want o know what took you so long. You should file for contempt in Florida, the court's jurisdiction over the children will follow her to Arkansas and the police or a court there will enforce the Florida court's order. Also, once you present the facts to the Florida court and it can transfer juridiction to Arkansa if that is appropriate.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida